Tassel earrings aren’t exactly a new concept but lately I’ve been seeing them everywhere. In honor of Earth Day and Animal Kingdom’s 20th Anniversary, I thought it’d be fun to create a pair of DIY tassel earrings inspired by the park’s towering icon, the Tree of Life.
I’d consider this more of a DIPY (Do It Partly Yourself) over a DIY (Do It Yourself) since I bought the tassels pre-made. If you’re feeling ambitious or have a little more time on your hands, follow these instructions to make your tassels from scratch.
Here’s what you need:
- Earring Hooks
- Green Mini Tassels (Find all sorts of colors here! There are lots of options.)
- Matching Colored Thread
- Lay out your tassels in the order you want them to be.
- Double thread your needle and triple knot it.
- Starting from the bottom, take your first tassel and push the needle through the center. Make sure it goes through the middle (took me a few tries – it’s a little tricky) so that your tassels line up on top of each other once they’re stacked.
- Pull the thread all the way through and repeat for the next two tassels.
- When you reach the end, tie another knot through the top tassel.
- Open up an earring hook and slip the needle end through the group of tassels.
- Repeat steps 2-6 to make the matching pair and then you’re done!
If you make your own pair, be sure to tag me in your photos – I’d love to see how they turned out!